Lightbearers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are the lightbearers, to bring the light to the darkest reaches of the galaxy.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Mark of the Lightbearer

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mel'anna
Recruit
Recruit
Mel'anna

The Mark of the Lightbearer Empty
PostSubject: The Mark of the Lightbearer   The Mark of the Lightbearer EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:08 am

The Mark of the Lightbearer identifies members of our order to each other, even if they have never met. It takes one of two forms; as a medallion that can be worn invisible around the neck, or as a small mark on armor.

The mark is an angel with wings spread, and blade drawn but held at the waist, pointing down; indicating a state of readiness without assuming that the use of force is the only option.

[comments welcome below, as always]
Back to top Go down
Cavella
Recruit
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: The Mark of the Lightbearer   The Mark of the Lightbearer EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 7:16 am

I only caught part of this conversation but fully support the concept.

Without any source of obvious Guild identification, (you cant really count a flaoting name tag as in Character) i have so far in this game always claimed that there is a Guild crest or some such indicator on a person.

Hopefully there may be something to help answer this in the future from Bioware.

My only comment would be, should not our Angel be bearing some sort of torch? Maybe held a loft in the non sword bearing hand ?

I have some pics somewhere that might show you what i mean .. i'll have to dig them out

Thoughts ?

Back to top Go down
Mel'anna
Recruit
Recruit
Mel'anna

PostSubject: Re: The Mark of the Lightbearer   The Mark of the Lightbearer EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 5:49 am

I don't see why we would need an answer from Bioware, to be honest Smile They provided plenty of room to fill in your own details as needed.

For example, the trooper storyline has squad markings all over the place, clearly visible on armor, so that's an obvious one. Army personnel also has visible ranks and that sort of thing, so a small mark stamped on chest piece, shoulders or something like that makes perfect sense. Not conspicuous, but easily found if you know what you are looking for.

Something similar works for Jedi Knights. Jedi Consulars have the First Hilt, which is ancient, contains markings that could speak of the Lightbearer, depending how far back you want to take this. If not that far, one could quite easily slot a specialized hilt into the storyline that has a recognizable shape for those who know what to look for.

Non-force users would not have that, but the troopers are covered, and the smuggler is not really a 'marks on armor' type class. Tattoos would work there though, patterns woven into fabric, or jewelry. Which brings us back to the idea of the medallion.

The medallion would primarily serve as a visual identification, either shown or hidden by default. This allows the player to show or hide depending on their style, the occasion, and so on. But it could also serve as an emergency beacon, react when there are other medallions nearby. Perhaps there would be versions for lower ranks that are visible only, more elaborate designs for higher ranks, specific roles and the like.

Sidenote for jewelry; the character creator allows for several jewelry options, which could fit into this. There could also be more ornamental versions of the medallion suitable for wearing with formal attire such as gowns. Earrings, rings, circlets?

--

As for the torch, I see where that idea would come from, but I was thinking in more abstract terms. The Lightbearer as in the ultimate representation of the Light side of the Force, as it were. The angel (which was Sokai's idea, btw) is already a representation of this as well. I would suggest we keep it simple.
Back to top Go down
Mel'anna
Recruit
Recruit
Mel'anna

PostSubject: Re: The Mark of the Lightbearer   The Mark of the Lightbearer EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 6:27 am

While I'm here, I might as well write down the rest of the backstory ideas I had yesterday Smile

The general idea is is that the Lightbearers would be the modern manifestation of an ancient order, an order that plays a very, very long game on a scale measured in centuries at least, probably millennia. In the past, it has survived as small, secluded groups on distant planets, reactivating itself when the galaxy finds itself as a crossroads.

The return of the Empire brought them out of the shadows, and by manipulating the right people, pulling the right strings, they brought the Lightbearers into existence to serve as their blade when more direct action is required.

I would suggest that none of us actually belongs to this ancient order, but that we are all willing pawns, as it were. We have no direct contact with them; we might receive orders from the strangest of sources. Sources that authenticate themselves to us with the Mark of the Lightbearer.

--

Back to the long game; they are the ones that maintain balance. Balance in the Force is important, but also .. over time. What we think of as the Light side acts as the primary Guardian of this balance, and the Dark side will challenge this.

One such challenge presents itself as the return of the Empire, but the true threat lies in the return of the one referred to only as the Darkbringer. We do not know when this will happen, or whether it will be during our lifetimes, but we do know that our actions, in the here and now, may echo through the ages to come.

--

This also sets up the Empire side story, by the way, if anyone is interested. I would prefer if this was a 'common goal' type of thing, but I can also see how some would prefer to fight against our efforts, as heralds of the Darkbringer, as it were ;-)

Also, I just realized that there's a common thread here you might recognize if you've read the Beleriand books by David Eddings Smile

[the above is me thinking out loud, basically. if you have comments, suggestions etcetera, hit that reply button!]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mark of the Lightbearer   The Mark of the Lightbearer Empty

Back to top Go down

The Mark of the Lightbearer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lightbearers :: Roleplay :: Discussion-
Jump to: